April 29, 2012

Kale and Freekeh Soup


Hello dear friends!

This morning, during my usual morning swim, I saw a small school of dolphins swimming outside the ocean pool I go to. It was the most perfect start for the day and certainly brought a big smile to my face. It's the small things like this that make life so beautiful! 

We've had a few nippy mornings here in Sydney and I absolutely love it. Walking to the pool in the morning or going for a morning run feels so much nicer and the air is crisp and clean. Warming foods are back on the menu too, this soup being a perfect example. I adore kale, I'm sure you know that by now, and it is just so delicious in soups, stews, salads, you name it. 

This soup was inspired by the beautiful Colleen, who by the way, so kindly read my "love letter" to her on her most recent podcast episode. I was really honoured to hear that, especially since Colleen's podcasts were the reason why I decided to go vegan.

A few notes on the recipe - if you can't find freekeh, try using rye grain (rye groats) or even brown rice instead. In addition, I would really recommend using some of the 'tougher' green leafy vegetables (kale or chard, for instance) as the texture will be much nicer and not too soft. Add any other vegetables you may have - celeriac and parsnip would be great.

Enjoy!

Kale and Freekeh Soup
(serves 4)

200g wholegrain freekeh, cooked until tender
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 bunch kale, chopped
2-3 litres vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large pot, add onion, garlic and carrots and cook for a few minutes. 

2. Add kale and vegetable stock (start with 2 litres, add more if necessary) and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. 

3. Finally, add cooked freekeh to the soup and season with salt and pepper.Turn off the heat and serve.

 

10 comments:

  1. How delightful and beautiful! It put a smile on my face too. Yes, a small things makes life happy. I love the soup, and the plate is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to swim with dolphins, maybe one day I will get the chance. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freekeh on ihanaa! Tutustuin siihen 4 vuotta sitten,kun tulin tänne uudestaan ja teenkin sitä aina silloin tällöin.Delfiinien näkeminen toi varmaankin hyvää mieltä;)Hauskaa Vappua Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, what a picturesque morning! I envy your gorgeous morning.

    And congratulations on being featured on Colleen's podcast! I listen to them religiously and have tried getting all of my friends to start doing the same. :D Her strong convictions and wealth of information never cease to amaze me, and I've never felt more confident responding to others' questions of veganism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful way to start your day! this soup sounds delicious, and super healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect weather for a warming soup :)
    especially after those nippy morning swims!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks & sounds so delicious.

    You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this soup the other day (must be psychic!). I love kale too and as I don't have freekeh in the cupboard (also, it was my own recipe!)I used barley. Yummy. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ihanan kuuloinen keitto.. ja tuo aamu, kuinka täydellinen :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very healthy and filling, I love the colours too

    ReplyDelete